With Easter just over a week away I thought I would share these fun coloured eggs I have done over the years. These are guaranteed to be a hit for Easter!
Colorful Deviled Eggs
1 Dozen Eggs
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
Chipotle Powder or Paprika
1) Put the eggs in a pot with cold water and turn the heat on high. Once the water is boiling cover the pot, and turn the heat to medium for about 15 minutes.
2) Once the eggs are cooked, cool them with cold water and peel them.
3) Slice them in half, and spoon the yolks into a medium sized bowl.
4) Place the egg white portion of the eggs into a bowl with water and a few drops of food colouring till you are satisfied with the colour, Make sure there is enough water to cover the eggs. I also add about a teaspoon of vinegar to the water to help with the colouring process. Let the eggs sit in this mixture for about 30 minutes, or until you reach the colour you desire. They will turn out to be a lighter pastel colour.
5) In a medium bowl with a fork mash the egg yolks, and then add the mayonnaise together.
6) After you are finished colouring the eggs, take them out of the water and let them dry on a paper towel.
7) Place a pastry bag with a medium star tip in a tall glass, and fold the bag over the glass. (You can also use a sandwich bag and just cut a corner off.) Fill the bag with the yolk mixture and pipe the mix onto the egg whites.
8) Top with your eggs with chipotle powder or paprika and place them on a pretty serving dish. You can also top with chives or bacon if you wish. I like the chipotle powder because it gives it a tiny smoky kick.
Having a themed party? Try using only one or two colours, and put a few drops in your yolk mixture too for an added colour boost.